Monday, January 11, 2010

Gardening and Other Cerebral Events

Jay tilled my vegetable garden and the berry patch and then when it finally stopped raining, I started going nuts.




I planted yellow squash, zucchini, corn, cucumbers, several different kinds of tomatoes (16 plants in all), 3 different types of peppers, beans, okra, watermelon, cantaloupe, and all kinds of herbs. When I figure out how to get the pictures from my phone onto this computer, I will update this post.

In the berry patch, I planted 25 strawberry plants, 4 blueberry bushes, and some blackberries. I edged the berry patch with tons of flowers, but managed not to get pictures of them. Awesome.

While the garden was going nuts, I became a beekeeper. Jay built me some stands and I got 2 hives. Of course, prior to that, much studying, reading, class taking, etc., ensued.


We also planted an orchard - 6 peach trees, 3 pear trees, 3 sour cherry trees. We'll add more to that this spring. This picture is just the peach trees, but you get the idea.


In July, I started canning and freezing.




We lost Ebony and Sophie in 2009. Sophie went in January - she was around 18 years old. Ebony went in August; he was 20. We absolutely cannot leave this place now, we have pets planted here.

Then we became the proud parents of twins.


After much deliberation, we decided to name them Brother and Sister (because they are) and Jay want to "South Knox it up," so we call them Bubba and Sissy.

And then we bought a canoe:


Earlier in the spring, I received an email from B with these specific instructions: "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS JAY TO REMOVE THE PORCH FROM THE FRONT OF THE CABIN." Jay was itching to do some demo work and B forbade him to remove the porch because they were going to need it for shelter or some such for tools, working out of the weather, etc. Then one day in June, we came home to this:


Can't tell what's going on here? Here's a better picture:

And then Jay's head exploded.

No comments:

Post a Comment